Canton Township

Geography, Topography, and History

The Canton Township is located in the southwest corner of the County. It is bound to the northeast by Granville Township and by Leroy Township to the southeast, to the south by Sullivan County, to the west by Tioga County, and to the northwest by Armenia Township, and to the north by Troy Township. There are three major creeks and several smaller tributaries connecting them that hydrate the Township, which include: the Mill Creek, Towanda Creek, and Alba Creek.

Col. John Spalding of Sheshequin purchased the Township of Canton under the Connecticut Title. The name originates from a town in Connecticut. The first settler of the Township was Ezra Spalding in 1785. In 1804, the Township of Canton was established, sixty years prior to the establishment of the Borough. Loren Kingsbury taught the first school in 1801 through 1802. The Township made several land divisions in order to create Towanda Township, Granville Township, LeRoy Township, and Armenia Township which all occurred between 1808 through 1843.

Local Government and Current Data

Currently, there are two Township Supervisors that govern the Township of Canton. The Township does not have a planning commission, but they have collaborated with the Borough of Canton and Granville Township to create a joint comprehensive plan in 2005. Currently, there are no zoning ordinances in effect. The Bradford County Office of Planning and Grants handles all subdivisions and land developments occurring within the Township. The Township is primarily used for agricultural purposes, yet there are still several services offered by the Township. The Minnequa Park is a public park equipped with picnic tables and pavilions and includes a Victorian Era Gazebo. The First Baptist Church of Canton, Calvary Alliance Chapel, and Windfall United Methodist Church all reside in the Township. One agricultural business in the Township is Landon’s Orchard where you may pick your own apples, and purchase local produce. A nearby point of interest in Armenia Township, is Lamb’s Lookout located a short distance off of Chapman Road by the DCNR sign, and offers a fantastic view of the Borough and Township. An annual event that is always highly anticipated is the State Apple and Cheese Festival held in Canton.

Tax Millage for 2017:

6.500

Villages:

Beech Flats
East Canton
Grover
Minnequa

School District:

Canton Area School District

FEMA Community Panel Number:

421397 0005-0010

Population Demographics:

Total Population....2,105
Population Density....56.5
Square Miles....36.9
Population under 18....27%
Population over 65....14.8%
High School Graduates....82.9%
Higher Education Graduates....15.5%

Household Statistics:

Housing Units....858
Households....840
Median Housing Values....$72,200
Median Rent....$432
Per Capita Income....$15,013
Median Family Income....$36,780
Population Below Poverty Level....13%

Emergency Services:

Fire Coverage: Canton Volunteer Fire Company
Ambulance Coverage: Western Alliance Ambulance
Police Protection: Pennsylvania State Police

Public Utilities:

Electric Company: Penelec
Claverack
Gas Company: PPL Gas Utilities
Water Company: N/A
Sewerage Facilities: N/A
Telephone Company: Frontier Communications

Contacts:
Supervisors:

Gary Ferguson (570) 673-8686
Mark McMurray (570) 673-5761
Jasper Smith (570) 673-8793


Secretary:

Elnor Blaney (570) 673-3455
Fax: (570) 673-5019


Mailing address:

289 DeMorgan Acres Lane
Canton, PA 17724
cantontownship@frontier.com

Solicitor:

Harold G. Caldwell, Esq. (570) 297-2192

Meeting:

1st Monday of the Month @ 8 p.m.
3235 Route 414
Canton, PA 17724