Bradford County Courthouse
301 Main Street
Towanda, PA 18848
Dan Thorpe, Fiscal Director
Phone: (570) 265-1746
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
The Collections Office is responsible for collecting and distributing money that was court-ordered for costs, fines and restitution in all criminal cases. This office maintains the records after they are entered on the computer by the Prothonotary’s Office (i.e. changing addresses, and adjustments in cost due to transfer to another state or county, or because the order was changed). At the end of each month, the office pays out any restitution, municipal fines or over payments that were collected during the month.
The Collections Office:
- Keeps the accounts of defendants up to date
- Monitors the accounts each month after the defendants make payment arrangement
- Sends payment reminders to defendants who fail to make a payment for one or more consecutive months
- Files contempt petitions with the court when a defendant fails to make a payment
- Researches which defendants are presently housed at correctional facilities and which facilities they are in
- Sends letters to inmates notifying them that they owe money
- Notifies the state correctional facilities to deduct money from any inmate who is lodged at their facility, as allowed by the State of Pennsylvania’s enacted legislation, Act 84, which states that the state correctional facilities can deduct a percentage of money from an inmate’s account in order to forward it to the Collections Office for the payment of their fines and costs.